By: Drew Sauveur
We’re all busy, so it’s easy as a small business owner to get mired in the daily grind and forget a few things that are critical to our success. So here’s 6 helpful tips to remind us all to stay on track with our overall goals.
- Write Down Your Goals Did you know that writing down your goals can increase your likelihood of success? If you write down what your long term goals (I like to plan out a quarter at a time), it acts like a beacon to strive towards in the storm that is our daily life.
- Plan Your Day Have you heard the term MIT? No, not the school, but the term, Most Important Task. Typically it’s good to have 3 major tasks that you absolutely MUST get done each day. These tasks can have sub-tasks, but keep it to 3 major tasks in the beginning. Connect at least 1 of these daily MIT’s to your long term goals, and that will ensure you are heading in the right direction.
- Respond to Clients ASAP. It’s understandable to be busy, but try your best to respond to a clients request within 24 hours. Your prompt reply will make the client feel important, and attended to. Happy clients make for happy businesses.
- Take Breaks! It may not be as easy as it seems, but most of us have an attention span of about 90 minutes. After that time, studies show diminished mental functionality. Take 5 minutes to take your brain off of the tasks you’re currently on. You can simply time yourself, or use an online app like http://www.dejal.com/timeout/ to schedule your breaks.
- Say Thank You. Adding “Thank you” or saying thank you at the end of a call promotes a culture of positivity and will pay off in return. Showing gratitude to your suppliers, sub-contractors, or employees will also encourage loyalty. Acknowledging your own hard work is important also, try writing a “completed” or “have done” list at the end of the week, and give yourself a hand for your own acheivements.
- Get Social. Spending simply 15 minutes a day interacting on social media is vital to the success of a small business. Pick a platform that you’re comfortable with, and ensure you post something daily.
Drew is a local entrepreneur and resident of Durham region. You can reach him at Drew@905business.com